Tobacco Free Himachal
HPVHA with various partners – American Cancer Society, VHAI and HRIDAYSHAN and The International Union for TB and Lung Diseases has initiated a community based programme, policy advocacy and media sensitization for effective implementation on COTPA, 2003.
- Sensitization of major stakeholders – Police officials including policemen in the ranks, Judiciary, Bureaucrats and Policy makers, Government officials of departments like health, sports and youth affairs, women and child development, tourism, education, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, transport, Grass roots NGO's, Hotelier / Market committee unions, press and media, Municipal committee for effective implementation of COTPA(Cigarette and other Tobacco Products Act), 2003.
- Community level orientations and awareness campaigns for understanding on various issues related to tobacco consumption and necessity for implementation of COTPA , 2003
- Advocacy with the state government department especially the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Education, Police and Tourism to promote a 100% smoke free environment as priority policy in the state.
- Focus on strict implementation of throughout India.
- First phase of the campaign with regard to Ban on Smoking in Public places which comes in effect from 2nd 0ct, 2008 started from the HP University
- An in-house documentary highlighting the current scenario in Shimla town has been made.
- A Nukkar Natak focusing on the various articles of TCA 2003 is being staged at public places to raise awareness
- Various silent march focusing on crucial aspects of COTPA,2003 and the importance of pictorial warnings has been conducted
- World Tobacco Day celebrated to generate awareness amongst the youth
- Awareness lectures on Tobacco usage and COTPA,2003 delivered in schools, NSS and NCC camps
- This was a pacesetter advocacy workshop on COTPA,2003
- It was a gathering of 200 participants
- This was the platform through which HPVHA reached out to the Government of HP on policy advocacy.
- Participants in this workshop were from various fields like law, NGO, Police, Health, Tourism, Municipal Corporation.
- It was in this workshop the need for a State Nodal Officer on Tobacco, need to empower police personnel under section 4 and 6 to cut challans and compounding the money collected during the challan was raised.
- HPVHA's concerted effort has been recognised not only in India but even at the World Tobacco Conference at Mumbai, we got an opportunity to showcase and share our experience.
- A State Tobacco Control Cell and a Nodal Officer in the DHS has initiated the process of issuing prototype of receipts, compounding the challans.
- A major breakthrough has been the letter of support from the Government of HP and the appreciation from the Chief Secretary, Govt of HP.
- A general observation is that there has been a drop in the incidence of smoking in public places, restaurants, Mall and The Ridge
- Authorizing police personnel under section 4 and 6
- No signage boards to be placed in all public/working places
- A Smoke Free University Campus and Smoke Free Shimla