Smoke Free Himachal Pradesh
The aim of project is to make smoke –free Himachal Pradesh through effective implementation of COTPA, 2003.
The project started from May, 2011 main focuses on effective implementation of various sections of COTPA 2003 but main emphasis was on section 4 (ban on smoking at public places) and section 6(A&B) (ban on sale to minors and by minors and within 100 yards of educational institutes) throughout the district in partnership with the state/District tobacco control cell and steering committees. The Project aimed to create a micro level, model strategy of public –private partnership for the effective implementation and enforcement for this social legislation to use this as preventive measures in public health issues and to create awareness to grass root level. Main emphasis is of same project to bring behavior change among community.
Strategy for Implementation
2nd Phase: -
- For the above purpose of project followed a comprehensive baseline survey conducted in selected blocks of Hamirpur distt. in July-August 2011.
- Conducted public opinion polls on assessment of public knowledge and awareness about harmful effects of smoking and second hand smoking, legislation implementation and their support for smoke free policies.
- Base line survey also conducted at district level to assess the compliance of smoke free laws (to assess the status of public places, as sign boards, active smoking, availability of smoking aids, cigarettes /bidi buts on public places) etc.
line listing: - Including survey also mapping of [political and administrative leadership-legislator, councils, PRIs, government official and key stake holders. Periodically meetings with the concerned officers, political leaders and public place owners to sensitize them on tobacco control under section 4 and get relevant government orders and notifications issued to facilitate in the implementation of the Rules.
- Update the flying squad in district level and block level and raids within time.
- Share the updates with Deputy Commissioner and CMO/MOH/HPVHA continually.
- Sharing with media provisions and project activities.
- Procurement of the no smoking signage's from different govt and private agencies
District Level training And Sensitization Workshop
21/12/11 District level workshop organised at Sadar Block at Hamirpur District headquarter under the Chairmanship of Deputy Commissioner Hamirpur,all HOD including Media persons about 130 members participated in workshop,SP,DSP,ASP,DPO,DPO,ICDS,DD HE,DDEE,Commandant Home Guard, All SDM's, All BDO's, All BMO's participated in it.
Block Level Training And Sensitization Workshops:-
- Block level workshops organised in Sujanpur, Nadaun and Bikjhari Block. All Block Level Head of Offices participated in it. All Block Level officials trained and sensitized how to implement COTPA Act 2003.
- 17/03/12 Block level training and sensitization workshop organised at Sujanpur in chairmanship of BMO Dr. Archna Soni.
- 27/04/12 Block Level Training And Sensitization Workshop organised at Nadaun in Chairmanship of BDO Prakash Chand.
- 09/05/12 Block Level Training and Sensitization Workshop organised at Bijhari Block in Chairmanship of SDM Mr. O.P.Thakur.
Cluster Level Meetings
In Cluster Level Meetings Health Workers, Anganwari Workers, Volunteers, PRI's, Mahila Mandals trained and sensitized about provisions of COTPA Act 2003 and how to implement Act , ill effects of second hand smoking to women and Children and tobacco.
Geographical area covered : Under Smoke Free Himachal Project area of whole district Hamirpur (229Panchayats) covered.
Number of beneficiaries:
- Sadar Block
- Nadaun Block
- Sujanpur Block
- Bijhari Block
- Bamsan Block
- Bhoranj Block
By the end of year 2012, the 85 % public sensitized directly and indirectly, print/electronic media, by issuing the notices and seminar ,continually meeting with PRIs and Secretaries and ICDS deptt (angan wari workers),Health worker, NRHM , common people.
Objective Of The Project
a. Main Objective:
- To develop and strengthen a policy frame work for smoke free implementation to build supportive political and administrative environment for implementation of effective smoke free policies.
- Capacity building to empower stakeholder to implement and enforce.
- To develop and ensure effective implementation of enforcement mechanism under smoke free provisions of the law to protect people from second hand smoking women and children.
- To mobilize the community and stake holders through public awareness compaign.IEC, media sensitization and media coverage to implement and sustain smoke free.
b. Secondary Objective:-
Carry on networking activities with Govt. Officials, Panchayat Pradhans of different Panchayats, Anganwari workers, Government schools, Private schools and other programming officials closely linked to the community (including the press) etc in order to develop awareness and education for tobacco affects and about COTPA,2003
Prevalence of Tobacco use before May, 2011 & Major strategies
During opinion survey and base line survey conversation with many people(in which 1000+ people from every age young and old) and they were asked about the questionnaire as per opinion poll (32 questions booklet) and for the baseline survey inspection the offices, schools common room ,and also search that there is signboards on public places or not.( 400+ public places visited) During observation it has been found that only 24% public place has been displayed the no smoking signboards and recent smoking was near about 60 % as per survey.55 % people were aware regarding COTPA,2003.
So after the completion of survey I discussed with distt. Administration DC/ADM/CMO/MOH regarding survey and how we can declare smoke free District/Blocks.So directions given by administration to all public place owners for implementation. After the district level workshop the signboards increased as per strict directions given, vendors sensitised to display sign boards for effective implementation of law. So continue meeting conducted with CMO/SP/DSP/DC/BDO/ETO/DPO/SDM regarding smoke free District.
By support of Health Department compliance survey conducted and distt. Headquarter stood with 97% and Anti-Tobacco Awareness Rally reached at Distt. Headquarter Hamirpur on WNTD. ADM Hamirpur Mr. Rajeshwar Goel welcomed rally team and flagged off rally to Dharmshala. On 31st June 2012 distt. Headquarter of Hamirpur declared smoke free by former CM P.K.Dhumal.
For the effective implementation of law BMO's were trained and sensitized how to conduct raids.
This movement bring a new revolutionary changes in district and I met with all BMO, BDO, and SDM for necessary action against violators.
BMO Nadaun Dr. Ashok Kaushal took initiative and conducted raids and penalised violators, BMO Sujanpur Dr. Archna Soni and BMO Bamsan Dr. R.K. Agnihotri also showed their commitment and conducted raids.
Media persons also supported me time to time during raids of flying squads and highlighted negative and positive issues to people.
- 20+ resources persons become CMO Dr. S.K.Soni MOH Dr.P.R.Katwal, SMO Dr. Chopra, COTPA Incharge Mr. Rajesh, HE Mr. Krishan.
- All educational institutes displayed the signboards.
- Awareness increased regarding COTPA, 2003 among community.
- Regular mapping and monitoring, flying raids, surprise visit by health and police departments for the sustainability of the campaign.
- No smoking signboards displayed in all public places.
- Regular covering by media.
4oo + Notices issued to public place owners and managers for displaying sign boards.
- More than 50 advertisement boards removed through notice issued.